Fun and Festive Ways to Help LTC Residents During the Holidays
This year has been anything but usual, and for many residents, they won’t be leaving your facility or seeing family as often during the holidays. We understand this can lead residents to feeling overwhelmed or even depressed.
We put together some fun and festive ideas that you and your staff can do to help create an environment where residents feel special during the holidays.
- Decorate their room and the facility with holiday décor.
- Host a Christmas movie marathon during the month of December so residents can watch some of their favorite seasonal movies.
- Start a Secret Santa note exchange where residents are assigned another resident to send encouraging notes to throughout the season. On Christmas Day, they can find out who is the mystery author of their notes.
- Each day, a facility home staff hides a festive elf doll (or angel, or Santa), and the resident who finds it every day gets their name displayed as the day’s winner. This activity is beneficial for cognitive engagement.
- Connect with local organizations to see if they can send your resident hand-written holiday and Christmas cards.
- Display a large Christmas spirit board and encourage residents to write out their favorite Christmas memories. Residents will enjoy reviewing the board and sharing stories.
- Offer a virtual viewing of a local holiday parade or tree lighting ceremony.
- Help residents utilize technology to stay connected to family.
While the holiday season will look different for everyone this year, help residents see that they are still a part of the community. Even though things might not be the same, they are invited to make this joyful season just as special as they have in the past.
We hope that you and your loved ones have a very special and safe holiday season. If we can be of any help with your long-term care pharmacy needs, please do not hesitate to reach out. Call us at 845 341-2700 or email us at email@example.com.